Wrapping up Indonesia

So as I’m sitting here trying to come up with the words to express how disappointing the last trip to Indonesia was and the attempt at the summit of Carstensz Pyramid, I’m reminded of the importance of life. I’m back home alive and have some incredible stories to share, and it was due to some dumb luck, yea, but also to some good decisions on my part.

While I was in Indonesia, I started a list of “things that went wrong” and started to get depressed, but I’m glad I did, because now I can type it out and laugh at everything because I had absolutely no control over all of these things and it’s only something that could have happened in a movie.

After booking the original trip of trekking to Base Camp (BC), it was cancelled because the villages we were going to trek through wanted more money and wouldn’t let anyone through. A week later, I was told we couldn’t trek in and had to go via helicopter, requiring more money (fuel for those things isn’t cheap), and a change in flights from America to Indonesia. A day before I was going to arrive, I was told the helicopter was broken and it wouldn’t be fixed for another week. Changing my flight, hotel, reservations, etc would be more expensive than going to Indonesia and staying at a cheap hotel because the helicopter “might be fixed” while I was in the country. Think that happened? Sigh.

So when I arrived in Jakarta, Indonesia (where the international flight landed in Indonesia and where I’d leave to get to Nabire (town where the helicopter was being “fixed”), I was told the heli would be just fine by the time I got to Nabire. So while there, I visited the local cancer hospital and shared my story with the children fighting for their lives as well as their parents and the adult patients… making the best of my time. I was in Jakarta for 2 days.

It’s expensive in Jakarta (it’s like NYC), and I found a flight to Bali for $50 and left the next day because it was MUCH cheaper there and I could leave from there to get to Nabire. I won’t even get into the internet problems with the hotel in Jakarta, but the hotel in Bali… well… I didn’t have one because everything was booked, but about an hour before I left Jakarta to get there, my friend (a travel agent in CA) found something for me.

While in Bali (we’re on day 4 by the way), I was told the “part” for the heli was ordered and would take about a week to get to Nabire. Later, I find out this “part” wasn’t anything like a “part” you’d expect. Maybe a spark plug, a rotor, anything but what it really was… the tail. Yea, the TAIL TO THE HELICOPTER!! Haha. So when they said “part” they actually meant “the helicopter itself.” So this “part” was going to get into Nabire in about a week and was an easy fix they said. Ok… no prob. My hotel in Bali was only for 3 nights because I was told the heli was going to be fixed by then. So I had to find another hotel (the one I was in was booked solid when my reservation was over). Hotel number 3 was nice, but didn’t have any mosquito netting to fend off any bugs with malaria. Sigh. No… I don’t have malaria, thank god. Anyhow… by this time I had no idea when I was flying to Nabire, but received a call after a few days at this new hotel and said we were leaving later that day to go from Nabire to Makassar (1.5 hour flight) to Biak (5 hour flight) to Nabire (1 hour flight). So I packed up my stuff to head out to another hotel and another city.

So I took off from Bali to Makassar, but in Makassar, I was told that all flights were booked to Biak and Nabire. (keeping up?) SO… hotel number 4, here we come. I was in Makassar for a few days because all flights were booked into Nabire (except another group managed to get 8 seats from Makassar to Nabire… hmmmm). While in Makassar, I was told the “part” for the heli got there, but they didn’t have the tools to put it on. Haha. Really? So a few days later (day 15 of the trip??) I was told the “part” was on, and there were flights to Nabire again. GREAT!! I’m heading over and going up the mountain because the heli was going to be fixed in a couple of days. I get to the Makassar airport and head to the gate for my 1AM flight to Biak where I was supposed to arrive at 6AM (2nd time zone change in Indonesia after the 12 from America), and the flight was delayed. I take a nap. Wake up… delayed. Nap. Wake up… delayed. Nap. Wake up and find out that the flight isn’t leaving until 6AM. By this time I had been at the airport for nearly 8 hours. Finally get an answer on the plane where they attempted to speak English and they said, “we apologize for the delay. The delay was due to reasons.” ………thanks. That clears everything up. I appreciate it.

Getting into Biak late, I luckily only had an hour before the flight to Nabire and it was a nice day. It was only 94. The entire time while I was trying to get to Nabire, we were also trying to negotiate using a different helicopter to take us to base camp. It was a Russian Kamov heli piloted by a crew of 4 Koreans. Through the negotiations, it was like that old “telephone game” where we’d say something in English to someone who spoke Indonesian to someone who spoke Korean. Hahaha… I give up. So we finally come to conclusions about the Kamov (basically price and the fact that we’d be “borrowing” it from a local gold mine), but there’s no fuel. So we try to get fuel, but get this… a couple weeks before, the country had a week-long holiday where people went to Nabire for vacation. The airlines ran more flights than normal to get the people there, but the week later, when they were trying to get people back home, they ran out of fuel because they didn’t plan for the extra flights. The fuel tanker comes by to sell them the normal weekly supply, they didn’t order more, the tanker didn’t have extra, so the people trying to get back home had to wait another week for the fuel and because of all that, we actually got fuel from the military in Biak to drop fuel in Nabire so we could use the Kamov heli. ….have I lost you yet?? Haha.

So after the fuel was “found” and after we could use the Kamov, they decide that the Kamov needed some sort of “anti-freezing” instrument placed on the blades because of the altitude. Great. Another part. Well that part was ordered, got there quickly (quick enough) but they didn’t have the tools to put it on either. Wonderful.

Back in Biak… flight finally takes off (it was delayed 5 hours) and I land in Nabire where I heard the smaller heli was fixed and was ready to go… GREAT!! But later find out that the heli IS fixed, however the Indonesian government wouldn’t let them test fly it until they had someone inspect it. …another 3 days for that person to get to town. In the mean time, the pilot for the heli isn’t even on the island and hasn’t come back from his vacation yet to do the test flight.

So back to the Kamov… fuel is there, crew is ready, we’re ready, part is finally on… we still can’t take the other heli, so we head up in the Kamov. After about an hour of flying up to base camp, we see it, but can’t land because the clouds are too thick and it’s too dangerous to land. We discussed us jumping out and the crew tossing us our climbing gear, but they weren’t too keen on that idea. So it’s back to Nabire.

Weather the next day wasn’t great, so we didn’t go anywhere and enjoyed the 103 temps with 100% humidity. I think one of my ears is a little lower because it melted a little and slid down my head.

The next day we attempted the base camp again. No dice. Back to Nabire again. We figured we’d try again tomorrow, but guess what… no fuel. We’re out. By this time the “inspector” for the smaller heli showed up and looked at the “part” they put on only to say, “great. Looks wonderful. Now take it off and put it back on in front of me so I know you did it right.” Sigh. Another 2 days of playing around in the jungle heat waiting on something that might not happen. In the mean time, we wanted to meet with the pilot because we heard he was going to be back on the island. We were told he was, we went to meet with him (but he was actually the co-pilot – pilot was in Makassar still on vacation). After meeting with the “pilot” as we were told he was, he mentioned something about the “part” being put back on the heli, but because it cracked, they had to wait for … I kid you not… the glue to dry. That’s about the time I figured it wasn’t in my best interest to go up this mountain and the signs (the numerous signs) were telling me it wasn’t my time and I should try to go home and return.

The next day I took off from Biak back to Jakarta, changed my flight out of Jakarta to a few days later (when I thought I’d actually get back to Jakarta), and spent nearly 10 hours in the airport trying to fly standby to get to Seoul to Chicago. Midnight comes rolling around, I sleep in the airport for a while, finally find a hotel, take a taxi there, check in, sleep for an hour or so, and get ready to head back to the airport again and fly home. That worked, and 2 days later I landed in Chicago.

Looking back at it, it’s one frustrating trip to say the least and I didn’t even cover everything that went wrong because this novella has gone on long enough. I did, however, get the opportunity to meet some incredible people and they have become some good friends...

Heli - 2


Internet problems

Happy ending

Makassar update

Trip to Nabire

Bali pt.1

Bali pt. 2


Hotel Secrets

Internet Problems

Chicken Liver


Hospital Visit Security

Video brought to us by:

Dont Drink the water!

Video brought to us by:

Dispatching from Seoul

Video brought to us by:


Video brought to us by:

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"Live, Love, Laugh, Learn, Lead by Example." --Sean Swarner

So over the weekend I went up into the hills to do some skiing, but this time it wasn’t just for fun. It was for a group called Rise Above It (http://www.raibenefit.org/) and a friend of mine named Ryan O’Donoghue who took a group from Denver Children’s Hospital up to put in some runs up and down the slopes at Vail. Another friend of mine and I headed out of Boulder at 6:30AM and hit the road for our drive up. Not much more than 1.5 hours later we were at the parking lot getting dressed to play on the slopes. Stepping on the snow was…. uh…. interesting. Skiing down the first run was even more interesting. If you could take the entire mountain and dump runny, but lumpy mash potatoes on it, then freeze those taters…you got the snow we were skiing on. Heading to the back bowls before the kids got there, Bryce and I were fooling around on the mountain and he started sliding off the catwalk (the flatter ground that helps traverse the mountain) and ended up shooting down the frozen taters into a tree. I wish I had a camera because when he finally stopped, he was a true tree hugger.

After putting in a few runs on the ice skating rink and sliding back to Vail Village, the rest of the group got into town and we were all getting ready to head up. Ryan did some introductions, explained the day, and we all headed up the lift. This time around, about 45 min after Bryce and I got back to the base, the heat melted the frozen taters into mashed potatoes and the snow was slushy, but a lot of fun. In fact it was so heavy and thick that I dropped into a run and somehow ended up falling straight down the mountain head over feet. I popped up and was fine, but while Bryce was laughing at me he tumbled and did the same thing. Can we say “karma?” haha.

We put in a few runs and then all got together for lunch at the top of the mountain. I floated around and chatted with as many people as I could and we all shared stories about cancer, what we went through, etc. Ryan played my ESPN piece (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVQGAg-k4bw) on the bus while they were heading up, so everyone there knew my story and it was a true pleasure answering all their questions about Everest, the mountains, and my cancers.

What really hit me was while I was talking to everyone (all ages really) is that they’re a lot like everyone I know with cancer, or anyone who’s had cancer. They all like to enjoy life and they all had a smiles on their faces. They all know what life is about and they all enjoy every moment. As well, they’re not afraid to talk about scars, treatments, pains of cancer, etc. We all shared stories of pain, of bone marrow treatments, swapped stories about scars, and even talked about how I was “old school” with my Hickman Catheter and the piece of plastic that’s in my chest still. I was told they now cut those out and don’t pull them out like they did when I was having mine removed. That would have been nice huh? No, “hold your breath while I yank this tube out of your chest.”

Anyhow, the main thing I noticed and what I wanted to share with everyone was that sometimes it’s great to be serious about everything and understand the meaning of life by getting deep into thought and emotion. Sometimes it’s great to not worry, not think, and just laugh. Just being yourself, not worrying about anything and being goofy. That’s one of the 5 “L’s” I live my life by: Live, Love, Laugh, Learn, Lead by example. You can’t take life too seriously sometimes, you have to laugh at yourself and have a good sense of humor. Enjoy the day…. Relax a little. Take some extra time to just laugh, spend time with loved ones, your friends, etc who you can share those moments with and truly treasure those good times.

Happy belated Easter everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!!

Keep Climbing!!

Sean Swarner
1st Cancer Survivor to Summit Everest
Hawaii Ironman
International Inspirational Speaker
Author: Keep Climbing


  1. Really enjoyed the blog. It is always good to remember to Laugh when things get hard...rather it's about something completely silly or something serious.

    Thank you for sharing.

  2. Yes. lol I am one of those people who absolutely value my time and like to enjoy it! I have fun laughing at myself and find the most peculiar things funny! Humor was really important while I was going through treatment and now I try to find something everyday to give me a chuckle and put a smile on my face.

    Great reflective post and traits to live by (the 5 Ls). ;o)

  3. Great story. I added you to my blogroll, not sure of the correct cancer category? Also Open invitation to you and your readers to participate in the Being Cancer Book Club. This month we are discussing “The Last Lecture” by Randy Pausch. “...the lecture he gave ... was about the importance of overcoming obstacles, of enabling the dreams of others, of seizing every moment (because “time is all you have…and you may find one day that you have less than you think”). It was a summation of everything Randy had come to believe. It was about living.”
    Monday is Book Club day; Tuesday Guest Blog and Friday Cancer News Roundup.
    Also check out Cancer Blog Links containing over 225 blog links and Cancer Resources with 230 referenced sites, both divided into disease categories.
    Please accept this invitation to join our growing cancer blogging community at www.beingcancer.net
    Take care, Dennis